As Fall is just around the corner, here are some great things you can do around your home to get ready for the winter heating season and save yourself a few dollars in heating costs in the process. Lake Country Repair has a fully stocked truck, so if we need a part for your appliance or furnace, the chance is high that we will have the item on our truck!
Fall heating checklist:
- Get and install a new furnace filter, or clean the one you have.
- Caulk and seal all leaks around windows and doors while the weather is still nice!
- Weather-strip windows
- Add outlet insulation underneath switch plate covers that are on an outside wall (A preformed fitted foam outlet cover piece is available at your local hardware store.
- Check the heating ducts for leaks and seal. Often these are sealed with duct tape that will dry out and not “stick” anymore after a few years.
- How is the insulation in your attic?
- Check that your floor vents are clean and not obstructed.
Other Ways to Save
- Turn down the thermostat, every degree you lower the thermostat between 60 and 70 degrees will save you 5% on your heating costs.
- Put on that sweater!
- Consider replacing a furnace over 10 years old with a new ENERGY STAR furnace
- Not sure if you need a furnace replacement, give Lake Country Repair a call and we will help you determine the best action plan. We will give you a fair and honest evaluation.
- Get a Fall furnace tune-up. Don’t get trapped on that first cold day with a furnace that will not fire! A clean furnace will be a happy furnace and will save you money.
Do you have a ceiling fan?
If you do. Reverse the switch on the fan so that the warm air is funneled down. In the summer we want the warm air to be lifted up and away from us but in the winter we want to keep it closer to the ground.
If you need some help from our Brookfield WI heat and air contractors or live anywhere in our service area of the western and northern suburbs of Milwaukee, please give us a call.